2.26.2009

I shall be at Aqaba. That, IS written!

My dear old friend Paul whom I had known since my Jr. High School days, worked his ass off in school and earned himself a one way ticket to Stanford University. We were all proud of him and agreed that we would all embark on a pilgrimage to visit him in the rolling hills of Palo Alto located a stone throw’s away from my own little happiest place on earth; San Francisco.

The initial plan of attack was to pile Jay, Steve, and Tu-Uyen into my Super Beetle along with four mountain bikes and all of our gear. Due to the limited storage capacity of the car, the rules were one backpack per person, one jacket, plus any mountain bike gear (helmet, shoes, tools, etc.). In addition, I packed my toolbox and hydraulic jack in the event of any roadside repairs; after all, what could possibly go wrong? Famous last words, as they say. Anyone felt the need to bring additional gear; you had to carry it on your lap. Being as we were young college boys with a healthy appetite, one had to account for the numerous bags of cookies, chips, and cans of soda which also took up valuable space. All of these items fit perfectly tucked away in the rear luggage space, front trunk, underneath the rear seat opposite the battery tray, and on Tu-Uyen’s lap (he brought an extra bag). It is amazing what you can fit in a Super Beetle, the extra space allowed by the McPherson front end really does help.

Four bikes, two bike racks…..well, not exactly. One bike rack, one free ski rack with a myriad orchestra of bungee cords that even Santiago Calatrava would find amazing.


Like I said, what could possibly go wrong.......

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, brings back memories of an ill-advised LA-to-SF roadtrip my girlfriend and I took in her '71 standard beetle, also yellow, in about 1990. No major incidents, but we had to add a quart of oil every 100 miles or so. Ah, youth.

    Kudos on what might be the first Calatrava reference ever in a car blog.

    ReplyDelete